[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Good News Bible

  What you say about later editions of GNB is right on the mark. I think it
is particularly good in the Pauline letters, where practically the only virtue
of RSV or NRSV is discernible correspondence with the Greek text--meaning that,
if the Greek text is difficult to undertand, the RSV or NRSV translation will
be difficult in the same way, whereas I find that GNB quite often expresses
the idea intelligibly and accurately in phrasing that I would not call para-
phrasing but translation in the best sense.

CARL W. CONRAD, C25001CC@WUVMD.BITNET OR C25001CC@WUVMD.WUSTL.EDU
Classics, Washington University, One Brookings Dr., St. Louis, MO 63130
Phone: (314) 935-4018