[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

John 1:1

I am posting this on behalf of a friend who does not presently have
net access ...

---

Some time back there was a discussion which offered 5 different ways of
translating the end section of John 1:1. I am considering the possibility
of a Theon/Theos distinction in this verse which imports Hebrew concepts
of a God subordinate to the High God as in Ps 45:6-7; Heb 1:8-9. Specifi-
cally I am exploring the possibility that John 1:1,18 may use Theon/Theos
in a way analogous to the Hebrew Eloah/Elohim. This might help explain
John 1:18. Theon is normally in the accusative but does not appear to be
so in 1 John 4:12, an exception which might be of significance.

Any suggestions or references in this area would be welcomed.