[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

JOHN 1:1

>I am posting this on behalf of a friend who does not presently have
>net access ...
>
>Some time back there was a discussion which offered 5 different ways of
>translating the end section of John 1:1. I am considering the possibility
>of a Theon/Theos distinction in this verse which imports Hebrew concepts
>of a God subordinate to the High God as in Ps 45:6-7; Heb 1:8-9. Specifi-
>cally I am exploring the possibility that John 1:1,18 may use Theon/Theos
>in a way analogous to the Hebrew Eloah/Elohim. This might help explain
>John 1:18. Theon is normally in the accusative but does not appear to be
>so in 1 John 4:12, an exception which might be of significance.
>Any suggestions or references in this area would be welcomed.

This whole question seems posited from a false premise. The fallacy becomes most
clear in the last sentence:
>Theon is normally in the accusative but does not appear to be
>so in 1 John 4:12, an exception which might be of significance.

Theon isn't NORMALLY in the accusative, it IS the accusative of Theos. It
appears that the author believes that a word can be distinguished from another
word by its inflection. (If this is an ambiguous sentence, read on to see what I
mean). I believe that a hundred percent of all those who have studied Greek on
this list will testify that the inflectional differences in Greek nouns
merely indicates the place or function it has within the sentence. An example in
English: the Lord/the Lord's. The former may be used in the nominative case (and
other cases in Eng.), while the inflection of the latter indicates that it is in
the genitive case. But there is no qualitative nor quantitative difference that
can be made simply by virtue of the inflection.

1 John 4:12 is adduced as some kind of evidence, yet it actually trips up the
fallacy. Theon IS in the accusative in that verse. Another phrase that means
accusative is direct object.  Theon (that is, God) is the direct object
(accusative) of the verb to see or behold.

>Any suggestions or references in this area would be welcomed.

Tell your friend, don't walk, but RUN from whom ever his teachers are.
 :-)
Pls feel free to contact me for any additional information.
Mr. Larry W. Hurtado's book suggestion, I agree, is a good place to begin.
(JESUS AS GOD, M. Harris, Baker Book House, ISBN 080-104-3700, $24.95
hardcover.)

Sincerely,
Bob
74710.2245@compuserve.com