[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Looking For Newly Discovered MS of John

>Date: Tue, 14 Jun 94 14:44:04 PDT
>From: Vincent Broman <broman@np.nosc.mil>
>Subject: Re: Looking For Newly Discovered MS of John
>
>          [...]  One epistle MS is dated by a few
>scholars to the end of the first century, also not a palimpsest.

If anyone is interested, the reference here is, I believe, to Kim's dating
of p46 --on purely paleographic grounds-- to c. 75-85CE (i.e. as opposed to
the "standard" dating of ~200CE).  Some --e.g.  Philip Comfort-- use this
dating as a basis for much of their work.

For the complete reference --and a number of arguments as to why this
dating is almost certainly incorrect-- please the discussion in the (new)
appendix to the 3rd edition of Bruce Metzger's _Text of the NT_.

Nichael
ncramer@bbn.com