[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Eph 4

Jeff:

I think you are partly right.  It seems to me that the initial _pros_ in
Eph 4:12 obviously refers back to the apostles et. al., and most likely the
_eis_ refers to "saints" (it would read thus:  ". . .he gave some as
apostles, . . .for equipping the saints unto works of service/ministry").
I think that the second _eis_, however, may be something like a purpose or
result clause indicator (I don't have my grammar here at work, so somebody
feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).  Thus, the reading of this last
section may be something like "so that the body of Christ (which includes
all the saints anyway, cf Eph 1) is built up"  or "for the building up of
the body of Christ."  This translation is not really that much different
than yours, with the exception that the last clause IMO doesn't have to
refer to either "saints" or "apostles, etc."  Does this help?  Any other
opinions?

Leo Percer
Baylor University
PERCERL@BAYLOR.EDU