[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: JWs

Michael,

I don't see what trying to figure out John 1:1 has to do with being a
Jehovah's Witness (I don't know about the interest in stauros).  The
Jehovah's Witnesses as I recall are tritheists, which Arius certainly was
not (so they are not Arians, and as for Aryans, well I don't think so
...).  Anyway, the Roman Catholics admit many early patristic writers had
"subordinationist" leanings, and we all know about the early Reformation
in Eastern Europe where Nicene trintarianism was questioned.  Then there
are the Unitarians, and the Quaker non-creedal stance.

So as long as we're talking about the Greek NT with linguistic and
(hopefully) intersubjectively verifiable methods, can't we avoid
seeming like we're walking between the mine-fields of orthodoxy and
cults?  It seems to me getting past all that, automatic theological
reflexes, is one good reason for studying the Bible in the original
languages.

-Greg Jordan
jordan@chuma.cas.usf.edu

Follow-Ups: References: