[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Stauros

I find it interesting that the discussion here has recently involved
two apparently different translational issues.  First was the correct
translation of John 1; then comes the correct meaning of <stauros>.

Now it might appear that these are unconnected.  But there is, of
course, a notable connection: they are both issues in which Jehovah's
Witnesses have taken vastly minority translations and made them
_de_fide_.  JW's believe an essentially Aryan faith, for which John 1
must be read in a very different way from the orthodox tradition, and
believe that Jesus was crucified on a `torture stake' and not the
cruciform Roman implement.

Something tells me we're going to be talking about the prohibition on
eating blood next.

	-mib

Follow-Ups: References: