[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

KJV question

Since I accidentally erased the message that was posted concerning the text
 types and the kjv question, I am not sure exactly to whom this reply
should be sent.
	It looks like you have been doing some good reading concerning the
issues of the textual transmission, Greek editions, and translation theory.
First of all let me suggest three other sources which are invaluable in your
study of these issues.  Metzger's, "Text of the NT". Aland and Aland's, "Text
of the NT", and Carson's "The KJV Debate: a plea for realism".
	Second, be sure to distinguish between "Rational Eclecticism" and
"Radical Eclecticism".  "Rational Eclecticism" sees the value of internal
evidence in evaluating a variation unit, but at the same time gives weight
to the external evidence.  "Radical Eclecticism" on the other hand tends to
put the majority of weight when evaluating a variation unit on the internal
evidence.  This view assumes that the proper reading is somewhere in the
extent mss and one need only to choose the one within the textual tradition
which makes the "best sense" based on internal criteria, irregardless of
external evidence.
	Third, be careful not to assume that the TR and the Majority text
are synonomous terms.
	I am not an experienced NT Text Critic but these are a few things
pointed out to me in a recent Text Criticism Seminar.  Hope they are
helpful.
	D. Williamson