[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

PROLAMBANW in Gal. 6:1

David.Wigtil@hq.doe.gov writes:

>To make a mountain of a molehill, let me note that the aorist subjunctive
>normally has no "temporal" force, of course, as we sense that indicative
>verb tenses generally have.

>I believe that David Moore means that PRO- has "sequential" force, instead.
>It is a curious turn of phrase, especially with the EAN KAI PROLHMFQH| word
>order, rather than KAI EAN...

	David Wigtil is right that the aorist outside of the indicitive is not
"temporal" in our sense of that term (with possible exception of the aorist
participle in certain constructions).  Nevertheless I had thought I had made
it clear that I was referring to the _prefix_ in mentioning temporal force.
 I accept his suggestion of "sequential" as perhaps a better way of referring
to the force of the PRO- prefix in Gal. 6:1. I can see how "temporal" might
be thought of as being in reference to the verb form, so it is probably
better to say that the PRO- in PROLHMFQH has *sequential* force.

	The word order of the phrase, EAN KAI PROLHMFQH, does apear  significant.
 If it were KAI EAN..., we should read "and if."  As the phrase stands in the
standard texts, I understand the KAI (in postposition here) as ascensive.  So
Paul is saying "Even if someone has already gotten caught up in a fault...."
 It comes off as a strong afirmation that even those who have strayed and
gotten into error may be restored.

David Moore