[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: PROLAMBANW in Gal. 6:1 (again)

> For the rest, I have to insist. Here "prolambanein" is a mind act.
> Needless to say, there is a common usage which gives to "pro-" in
> "prolambano" a temporal or sequential meaning. But this is not our
> point. For here the "lambanein" is no "catching": is no external event.
> Nowhere "prolambanein" (tina) is something like "catching"
> (someone).  Nowhere "prolambano" (tina) can mean "I catch in
> advance" (someone). Is it so difficult to grasp?

For reference, here is the Bauer, Arndt & Gingrich entry for 'prolambanw'
somewhat abbreviated:

prolambanw 2 aor. proelabon; 1 aor. pass. proele:mphthe:n (...) TAKE
BEFORE(HAND).
   1. in uses where the temporal force is still felt
   a. pr. ti DO SOMETH. BEFORE THE USUAL TIME, ANTICIPATE SOMETH. (...) w.
inf. foll. (...) proelaben murisai to swma mou SHE HAD ANNOINTED MY BODY
BEFOREHAND Mk14:8.
   b. TAKE IT UPON ONESELF, UNDERTAKE (in the sense 'anticipate mentally'
in Polybius [II BC], Plutarch;...) proelabon parakalein humas IEph3:2.
   2. in uses wher the temporal sense of pro- is felt very little, if at
all--a. TAKE, GET of a meal (...) hekatos to idion deipnon prolambanei en
tw phagein IN EATING, EVERYONE TAKES HIS OWN SUPPER 1Cor11:21 [but cf.
"for as you eat, each of you goes ahead without waiting for anyone else"
(NIV)].
   b. DETECT, OVERTAKE, SURPRISE tina SOMEONE pass. (...) ean prole:mphthe:
en tini paraptwmati Gal6:1 ["if someone is caught in a sin" (NIV)] ... M-M.*

Thus, BA&G suggests that there is little temporal force of prolambanw in
Gal6:1.  The wording of the NIV translation might be improved by using
"caught up in a sin" rather than just "caught."  Perhaps the prefix is
merely a mild intensitive, so common in the Koine.  After all, what does
the "up" mean in "caught up"?

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen Carlson     :  Poetry speaks of aspirations,  : ICL, Inc.
scc@reston.icl.com  :  and songs chant the words.     : 11490 Commerce Park Dr.