[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Lexicons

At 03:33 PM 9/1/94 EDT, Nichael Cramer wrote:
>Another recommendation request for a non-expert lurker:
>
>Which is/are the lexicon(s) of choice for NTGreek?

My recommendation is Liddel & Scott.  It is primarily a classical lexicon,
but there are a couple of advantages to this.

First, the unabridged and the less abridged versions give the historical
development of words from Homer until about the 4th AD.  This gives a good
sense of how the word evolved, and perhaps some additional nuances of meaning.

Secondly, since the aim of the lexicon was not for New Testament
theologians, there are no theological biases that might creep in.  You are
thus more likely to figure out what the average first century person on the
street in Thessalonica, Antioch, or Alexandria would have thought of by the
words used.

>Given access to TDNT, how would that compare with use of a good lexicon?

Not certain what this is, but *nothing* beats a good lexicon.

>Thanks
>Nichael

You're welcome,

Dan
Daniel J. McDonald                 home: mcdonald@teleport.com
Telecom Designer                   work: 2397@idchq.attmail.com
Industrial Design Corporation      pots: 1.503.653.6919
Disclaimer:  my views are my own and no one else's