[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Lexicons

On Fri, 2 Sep 1994, Stephen Carlson wrote:

> One example I recently found is the meaning of of water (hudatos) in Jn3:3
> "born of water and spirit" (genne:the: ex hudatos kai pneumatos).  BAGD
> says it is a reference to Christian baptism, but I'm not sure that's what
> is going on.  Is it plausible here that "water" refers to the amniotic
> fluid?

Steven,
     You mention one of the two most logical arguments for the
interpretation of "water," that is, natural birth.  The other possibility
(and there is little room for dogmatism between them) is that John was
making reference to Ezekiel 36:25-27; whereas, the meaning would then be
that of repentance.
     Hope this helps.

Mike Lipsey lipsey@metronet.com
(Head of Apologetics Dept. at Tyndale Theological Seminary, Ft. Worth)