[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Lexicons

> I think I know the kinds of problems Dan is talking about.  BAG sometimes
> gives a definition that reflects traditional Christian theologies rather
> than the evidence of actual word usage in non-Biblical/Christian texts.
> It usually does so by giving an *extra* definition, but still.  I guess
> this has to do with how much one sees a divergence between Christian and
> non-Christian Greek of the time & society.

One example I recently found is the meaning of of water (hudatos) in Jn3:3
"born of water and spirit" (genne:the: ex hudatos kai pneumatos).  BAGD
says it is a reference to Christian baptism, but I'm not sure that's what
is going on.  Is it plausible here that "water" refers to the amniotic
fluid?

> I would certainly recommend Liddell-Scott as a counteractive and 2nd
> opinion.  I think we need to introduce specific words as examples. I'm
> not sure I'll have a chance to look, but I think *arsenokoites* was a
> good example (of course, that word has been controverted much recently).

I have recently investigated this word in the course of preparing a critique
of John Boswell's interpretation of the term in the chapter on Lexicography
and St. Paul in his book, CHRISTIANITY, SOCIAL TOLERANCE & HOMOSEXUALITY.
Both LSJ and BAGD give a meaning of "sodomite" without much explication.

Stephen Carlson

Follow-Ups: References: