[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Request for information

After sending off this message, I realized that I sent it only to
Dennis.  So, FYI!

> _The Language of the New Testament_ by Eugene Goetchius

I taught from this for several years.  Not only is there a text there
is a workbook.  Unfortuantely there is not key for it, so you are on
your own for the answers.  It is a good book written from a
structuralist linguistics point of view.

> _New Testament Greek for Beginners_ by J. G. Machen

I cannot imagine why anyone would want to use this text.  I learned
Greek with it.  Now that I have taught from at least four others,
I would never recommend Machen.  This text ASSUMES knowledge of
classical languages (even though he states otherwise); it is
illogically arranged so that each chapter is a hodge podge of
material; it does (cannot) take into account what has been learned
about Greek since its writing; .......
Its one redeeming feature is the answer key! Maybe in your case
(working by yourself, I am assuming from your message) it would be a
gook book.

> _Learn to Read New Testament Greek_ by David Alen Black
> _New Testament Greek: A Beginning-Intermediate Grammar_ by James A. Hewett
> _A Beginner's New Testament Greek Grammar_ by Sakae Kubo
> _Reading NT Greek: Complete Word Lists and Reader's Guide_ by Bernard B. Scott

I have never used any of these.

I am currently teaching from _Fundamental Greek Grammar_, 2nd ed. by
James W. Voelz (Concordia).  For the self learner, it gives the answer
to the odd numbered sentences, etc., in the exercises.  It is well
laid out and gives English translations of all examples.  It also has
translation passages from the Greek New Testament (no key--use an
RSV/NASB/ KJV) beginning with chapter 3 and so requires the use of a
dictionary (_Shorter Lexicon ofthe Greek New Testament_, 2nd ed. by
Gingrich and Danker is best for the learner because it gives parsings
of difficult forms.)

Possibly the best for your circumstances is the new grammar by John
H. Dobson, _Learn New Testament Greek_, 2nd ed. (British Bible
Society).  I believe there is another book or tape that goes with the
book.  This is a programmed grammar, that is it gives you grammar,
then some exercises that have greek on one side of the page and the
answer on the other side so that you get immediate feedback.  It was
first written for students whose first language was NOT English and
has the advantage of explaining everything clearly.  Its approach is
different from others, but it is a proven text that I would recommend
to you.
I may be switching to it for my teaching.

Well, those are my biases!

I hope this helps.

> PS  I'm also looking into obtaining a Greek New Testament.  I am currently
>     leaning towards the _UBS4_ and _Nestle-Aland 26th_.  Any comments on
>     these, or others, would also be appreciated.

You might as well go with the standard text, either of the texts you
not would be good.  However, if you can get a copy of UBS2, that is
preferred by many scholars.

> > Dennis Burke >
dennisb@test490.pac.sc.ti.com >

Glenn Wooden