[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Use of imperfect in Luke 23:34

Hi -

I have a question about the use of the imperfect form of legw in Luke 23:34
(Jesus *said*, father, forgive them for they do not know what they do.)

My lexicon says that only the present and imperfect active and passive forms
of legw are in use in the New Testament. Should I understand the imperfect
here as actually being completed in the past (since it cannot reasonably be
construed to mean repeated action (i.e. 'Jesus kept saying'). Why are only the
present and imperfect forms of legw used? Is there any particular significance
to the use of the imperfect in Luke 23:34?

BTW, does someone have a good list of the transliteration for Greek - there
were a few floating around a month ago or so buit I seem to have misplaced
them.

Thanks-

Mary Ann Davidson
madavids@us.oracle.com

Kumai kumai kanalu nui mai kahiki mai
Alo poi ipu ku mai ka pohuehue
Hu kai ko oloa
	Arise, arise o great surfs of Kahiki
	The powerful curving waves arise with the morning glory vine
	Well up, long-ranging surf!