[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Luke 23:34a

At 08:31 PM 9/21/94 EDT, Dvdmoore@aol.com wrote:
>MADAVIDS@us.oracle.com (Mary Ann Davidson) wrote:
>
>>I have a question about the use of the imperfect form of legw in Luke 23:34
>>(Jesus *said*, father, forgive them for they do not know what they do.)

[much deleted]

>	Luke 23:34a is among those passages that are not supported by the best
>manuscript evidence, but are included as part of the Nestle (and UBS) text
>because of their antiquity, their dignity and their influence in the history
>of the church.

Well, if being missing from 2 manuscripts indicates lack of support, I guess
that's that.  I would have thought that UBS would have classified it as {A}
text, because it was in the first hand of Sinaticus, which UBS generally
values very highly (much more than I do.)  Its presence in Alexandrinus in a
slight variation (o de Ihsous eipen afes autois ou gar oidasin ti toiousin)
certainly attests to the antiquity of the text.

>David Moore

Daniel J. McDonald                 home: mcdonald@teleport.com
Telecom Designer                   work: 2397@idchq.attmail.com
Industrial Design Corporation      pots: 1.503.653.6919
Disclaimer:  my views are my own and no one else's