[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Isa 7 & Use of OT in NT

Re: "I wonder if the NT's fulfillment
language might be *in some way* similar to language used in OT and
possibly even today."

I think that James 2:23 is an example of "fulfilled" being used in just this
way:

[21] Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he offered up Isaac
his son on the altar? [22] You see that faith was working with his works, and
as a result of the works, faith was perfected. [23] and the Scripture was
fulfilled which says, 'And Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as
righteousness,' and he was called the friend of God. (James 2:21-23, NASB)

Notice that James uses the formulaic "and the Scripture was fulfilled" to
introduce a Scripture that is difficult to construe as prophetic.  I think that
this typological use of fulfilled is not only possible, but actually fairly
common in the NT.  It is encouraging to hear that the concept occurs in the OT
as well.

Cheers,

John.