[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Josephus and Magi

Thank you Bob.  The problem would be McNamara's in this case.  I have
left the article at home, so will have to post it this evening.  I recall
that he deals with that in his article, but I don't remember the specific
passage or how he gets around the fact that Mag- is usually negative in
Jewish and Christian literature.

>From another angle however, if Magoi is being used to describe Essenes
rather than Persians it does not follow that Matthew is presenting them
in a positive light so much as they come off better than Herod and the
chief priests-lesser of three evils.  Just a musing.

-Larry Swain
Parmly Billings Library
lswain@billings.lib.mt.us