[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Q and Papias

On Thu, 27 Oct 1994, Stephen Carlson wrote:
> > How can literary relationship between Luke and Matthew be conclusively
> > denied in the face of extended passages that have identical Greek text?
> > To me that is explicable in very few ways: (1) Mt copied Lk; (2) Lk
> > copied Mt; (3) Lk & Mt both copied a third source; (4) the identical
> > texts sprang like Athena from the head of Zeus. It is not simply a matter
> > of similar accounts of similar or the same events told by different
> > witnesses to the same events, but of identical Greek text in several
> > passages.
> Another possibility is scribal harmonization, though the textual evidence
> is meager.  Do we have good 2nd and 3rd century witness for the nearly
> identical passages in Mt and Lk?

It's an interesting thought, but it seems a pretty slim limb to hang a
reasonable alternative on.  I'd be willing to explore this possibility,
but I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there doesn't already have an
answer. It's a matter of checking the extent of texts in MSS earlier than
4th c, as I suppose the critical apparatus gives adequate information on
any significant variants from the "commonly received" text.

One Brookings Drive, St. Louis, MO 63130, USA
(314) 935-4018

Follow-Ups: References: