[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Q and Papias

Stephen Carlson wrote:
> Another possibility is scribal harmonization, though the textual evidence
> is meager.  Do we have good 2nd and 3rd century witness for the nearly
> identical passages in Mt and Lk?

Actually, we have very good evidence for the textual development
of the gospels in the 2d-3d century.  There certainly was some scribal
harmonization to synoptic parallels but not at all of the magnitude required
to explain the commonalities found in Mt-Lk.  Matthew and Luke are among
the best attested of NT books.

Vincent Broman,  code 572 Bayside                        Phone: +1 619 553 1641
Naval Command Control and Ocean Surveillance Center, RDT&E Div.
San Diego, CA  92152-6147,  USA                          Email: broman@nosc.mil