[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Active, deponent, passive

Again, there is a distinction to be made here between the form of the
words and their functions.  The form of a deponent is middle or passive,
while its function is apparently active.
   ("Apparently," because the fact is that in English or German or Latin
   the translation may be an active verb...but in some language that
   predominantly uses passives the translation may instead be passive!
   English is not the ultimate language, into which all others are to be
   translated.)
Hence, apokrinomai is middle-passive in form, its future apokrinoumai is
middle in form, and its aorist apekriqhn is passive in form.  But their
functions include taking direct objects, a mark of transitivity and thus
(we suppose) of "active" meaning.

I might point out that great hordes of English verbs also direct objects
in both the active and passive voice, in this pattern:
   He showed me the house.          I was shown the house.
   They brought her some tea.       She was brought some tea.
Again, these verbs to us Anglophones clearly and cleanly differentiate their

meanings between active and passive, but both voices permit direct objects,
since we (perversely?) allow indirect object items to behave as passive-verb

subjects.

--David N. Wigtil, david.wigtil@hq.doe.gov