[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: parsing deponents

Andy Smith writes

>I have what must seem like a very mundane question, but one that I would like ananswer to nonetheless.  It concerns middle voice and/or deponent verbs.  How
>do you parse these, specifically what voice do you give them?  For example,
>apokrinomai, "I answer," is of course passive in form, but active in meaning.
>Would you instruct a student to parse it as first person, singular, present,
>deponent, indicative?  Or would you recommend 1st pers., sing., pres., MIDDLE,
>indicative.  I have seen both done, and I am not sure what is normal procedure.
>Thanks for any help you can give.

There are two issues to be recognized by the student -- the formal and the
semantic.  I have always instructed my students to identify both the form
(middle, passive, or mid/pas) *and* the fact that it is deponent, thus being
translated with an active force.

**  Dan G. McCartney                   |        I'net: DMCCARTNEY@HSLC.ORG  **
**  Assoc. Prof. of NT                 |          WTS: 215 887 5511         **
**  Westminster Theol Seminary         |       Office: 215 572 3818         **
**  Box 27009, Chestnut Hill           |          Fax: 215 887 5404         **
**  Philadelphia, PA  19090            |         Home: 215 659 7854         **