[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Q and Papias

On Sat, 29 Oct 1994, David Coomler wrote:

> If that were true, then one is hard-pressed to account for the survival of
> a crude, later Mark in the presence of a more elegant and developed
> earlier Matthew.
>
> (p.s. Is anyone subscribed to OT Hebrew, and if so, how did you do it?  I
> am having trouble with the standard Listserv subscriber info).

Um, huh?  If Mark's ability is not as refined as Matthew's (and I think
we all agree it isn't) and Mark used Matthew but because of lack of
refinement and experience of language he doesn't come up with as elegant
a prose as matthew's, then we can't account for his survival?  Is this
your argument?

If it isn't disregard the remainder.  If it is.....a) apostlicity-Papias
writing within 30 years of the traditional date of mark says that Mark
wrote Peter's recollections down-in short, the connection with Peter is
early enough as to be entertained as possibly historical.  This solid
connection alone would make preservation probable.  b) Your argument
would only make sense if elegant style were one of the criteria for
preservation.  A modern example would be the difference in writing style
and subject of a G. K. Chesterton, which few of my younger patrons have
ever heard of, and of a Danielle Steel-no comparison in my mind, but
Steel will certainly be read by more of the masses for a longer time than
Chesterton.  c) which brings us to an important point.  If we look at
Matthew and Luke as being fairly refined works, full of theological and
biblical undercurrents and complex formulations, in contrast to the
COMPARATIVE simplicity of Mark, and if the majority of the Christians in
the first couple of centuries were from the lower classes, as many
studies have indicated, then we would presume that the simpler  gospel
would prevail in those circles.  d) your argument is open to a similar
attack.  If there was a Q and Mark as sources for Matthew and Luke, Q has
disappeared from the scene, Mark hasn't.  One would expect from your
conclusion that the more "advanced" gospels would be preserved, and Mark
should have disappeared as did Q because of its inelegance, lack of all
but 4 OT fulfillment references which became increasingly important, its
relative "low" Christology and so on.  So why didn't Mark disappear?
Surely priority is not the reason-other writings that Luke surely refers
to did not survive-why this one?

-Larry

Follow-Ups: References: