[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Cephas

The proposition is interesting, and I'm not in a position regarding the
Aramaic to pass judgment on the whole, but one problem I see is with the
pronunciation of the vowels: if Cephas is spelled in the Greek kEphas (I
really want to write "Khphas"), then the eta would in this time period
have the sound of our long E, whereas the -ai- would have the sound of
our (English, that is) long A; should the I-sound evanesce, as you
suggest, the remaining A would have an "AH" sound. I may be wrong here,
but I would think the vocalic correspondences would tend to be preserved
better in Hellenization of an Aramaic name. But I'm way out of my area of
expertise.

One Brookings Drive, St. Louis, MO 63130, USA
(314) 935-4018