[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cephas

> I think of patterns in English involving dropped [l]'s before
> certain consonants.  We pronounce "would" and "could" without
> [l], though from the spelling [l] used to be pronounced
> (cp. "will").  Some dialects of American English pronounce
> "help" as [hep].  Save, safe, safety, and saving are cognate
> with salvific, salve, and salvation; and when the [l] is
> dropped there is a regular vowel change.
>
> "Calf" and "calves", "half" and "halves" are usually
> pronounced without the [l].  The word "almond" is pronounced
> either [owlmund], [awlmund], or [amund], all correct
> American English pronunciations, the last having lost the
> [l].  Compare German to English Wald/woods, welch/which,
> and Kalb/calf.
>
> Offhand, I cannot think of any Greek word which contains
> the sound sequence [alp].  If so, this would lend support
> that a name *Chalphai in Aramaic would undergo a regular
> sound change when pronounced by speakers of Greek in
> Asia Minor and Macedonia (or anywhere), to become perhaps
> "Kepha".
>
> On purely philological grounds, is this proposal credible,
The linguistic arguments seem plausible to me.  FUrthermore, a quick
check of acCordance lists no Koine forms with the alp as an INITIAL
sequence.  NOte, however, that their existence accross a syllable
boundary, as in the form in question, allows possible
resyllabification such that the sounds are not contiguous.

Mari Broman Olsen
Northwestern University
Department of Linguistics
2016 Sheridan Road