[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: John 1:1

On Wed, 30 Nov 1994, Leroy Huizenga 1996 wrote:

> You do realize that you are quoting a historian with severe Arian tendencies.
> I'm curious what other early writers make this division, especially
> in light of the early Christological councils and their judgements on the
> Person of Christ.

I think calling Eusebius severe anything is unfair.  He had sympathies
for the Arian side, and his subordinationism is everywhere apparent, but
he was also friendly to the Athanasian side, and he approved of the
Nicene formulation.  I would call him a true moderate who stood between
extreme positions, and so a good example of what might have been the
fourth century middle ground.

Greg Jordan
jordan@chuma.cas.usf.edu