[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: John 1:1

On Wed, 30 Nov 1994, Gregory Jordan (ENG) wrote:

> Later Greek speakers kept this distinction: Eusebius sees all the
> theophanies as those of Jesus as distinct from his father, because of
> their character: "Reason would never allow that the uncreated and
> immutable substance of Almighty God should be changed into the form of a
> man, or, alternatively, that by the illusion of any created thing it
> should deceive the eyes of the beholder, or that Scripture should falsely
> invent such a tale.  Who then could be spoken of as God, and the Lord who
> is the judge of the world and does justice, appearing in human shape?  As
> it is not permissible to suggest the First Cause of the universe, there
> is only one answer - His pre-existent Word." (Ecclesiastical History
> 1.2).  Eusebius then goes on to say the Burning Bush episode was a
> theophany of the son.
>
> Greg Jordan
> jordan@chuma.cas.usf.edu

You do realize that you are quoting a historian with severe Arian tendencies.
I'm curious what other early writers make this division, especially
in light of the early Christological councils and their judgements on the
Person of Christ.

Leroy Huizenga 1996
Jamestown College, ND

Follow-Ups: References: