[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Cephas

Carl Conrad asked:
>Will the vowel equivalence suggested between the A of
>(K)ALPHAIOS and the H (pronounced "ee") of KHPHAS really
>float?

>From examining several NT Aramaic expressions transliterated
into Greek, the Hebrew/Aramaic vowel "sere" commonly is
rendered H in Greek, but I found these non-sere instances
rendered H as well:

(1) Yeshua (seghol [?]) is rendered with an H, "iHsous."
(2) Haleluyah (schwa-patah) is rendered AllHouia (Rev 19:4).

The second instance is interesting in that a short semitic
vowel is lengthened to eta(H) AND the second [l] is dropped,
leading me to wonder if the dropped [l] caused the appearance
of the H.  That is, [el-oo] went to [ee-oo].

The question is whether a dropped [l] from *Chalphai (Alphaeus)
would cause the A vowel [al] likewise to lengthen to eta(H) [ee].

Greg Doudna
Marylhurst College
West Linn, Oregon