From: "R. Glenn Wooden" <glenn.wooden@acadiau.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 12:39:29 ADT
Subject: Re: IMHO

Anthony (and all the others who wanted to ask)

> Sorry to ask what must seem basic--but what is "IMHO"?

IMHO="In My Humble/Honest Opinion"

Glenn Wooden
Acadia Divinity College
Wolfville N.S.
Canada

wooden@acadiau.ca

------------------------------

From: Bruce Terry <terry@bible.acu.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 13:12:05 CST
Subject: Re: Cephas (Weeden)

Steve Johnson wrote:

>Second, there is resurrection in Mark.  The youth says so.  True, we don't know
>from the text if the body has been resurrected.  But so what?  So Mark might
>believe in the resurrection of a spiritual body.  That, of course, is no sur-
>prise, or would be no surprise, since Paul doesn't believe in a physical resur-
>rection of the body either.
>
>Personally, judging by what we know of first-century anthropological
>conceptuality, it would seem to me that the resurrection of the Spirit in
>Jesus would be more convincing and persuasive than a bodily resurrection.

Steve--

I am a little confused as to exactly what you mean by the above, specifically
by the term "resurrection of a spiritual body" and "a physical resurrection of
the body."  If by "Paul doesn't believe in a physical resurrection of this
body", you mean that he doesn't believe in a resurrection of this swma
psuchikon [my apologies to those of you who want to spell this "yuxikon"], I
agree.  But if you want to follow the RSV in translating psuchikon as physical,
and then via English come to the meaning "material," I must cry foul.  Paul
does not talk about the resurrection of the pneuma, but the resurrection of a
swma pneumatikon (1 Cor 15:44).  Paul does not want to put off this earthly
body; that would leave us gumnoi.  Rather, he wants to put on over it [dare I
say] another body, so that to thnhton will be swallowed up by life
(2 Cor 5:3-4).

Even Mark has the body of Jesus gone from the tomb.  It was the body which was
raised, not the spirit.  But then it was the body which died.

Bruce Terry                            E-MAIL: terry@bible.acu.edu
Box 8426, ACU Station		       Phone:  915/674-3759
Abilene, Texas 79699		       Fax:    915/674-3769