From: "Gregory Jordan (ENG)" <jordan@chuma.cas.usf.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 1994 23:38:53 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Transliteration

I would throw in my vote with Carl for transliteration anarchy, also
because I'm lazy and also because of the contradictory systems people are
already using on their own projects.  I myself never have trouble
deciphering others' posts, esp. when they list cite chapter and verse
where it can easily be verified.  But if the wisdom of the list (by
vote?) is to have a standard, I would certainly comply.

I almost feel as though I ought to defend my own bastard system in case I
am a cause of confusion.  I ignore the accents (rarely necessary to
distinguish words), the smooth breathing, capitalization usually, and use
letters as much like English as possible, eliminating redundancy.

epsilon = e
zeta = z
eta = E
theta = th (this digraph seems to be the best way to represent aspirated tau)
iota = i, making no distinction for iota subscript (what few other
occasions would final iota be confusable?)
xi = ks (again, where kappa and sigma come together, so why not the digraph?)
o = o
sigma = s, and final sigma the same (why not?)
upsilon = u
phi = ph
chi = kh
psi = ps
omega = O

The only problem I've noticed is not being able to use word-initial
capital e's and o's.  This is obviously no transliteration for strict
scholarly uses, but it does look more accessible to me for informal
conversational purposes.

Greg Jordan
jordan@chuma.cas.usf.edu