From: "Gregory Jordan (ENG)" <jordan@chuma.cas.usf.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 1994 01:59:48 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: son of man

On Tue, 13 Dec 1994, Pete Cepuch wrote:

>  you cited were mostly all Jewish/Hebraic sources. This whole thread got started by
>  the statement where you said"huios tou antthrOpou surely emphasizes his
>  humanity". Where in all the wonderful sources you cited does the idea of
>  humanity appear?.

Greek _anthrOpos_ means "human being, humanity," usually the antonym of
_theos_.  Hebrew _enosh_ and Aramaic _enash_ also mean "human being,
humanity."  None of the supernatural beings I mentioned were considered
"God" by the perfectly Jewish sources, that is, the one unique focus of
monotheism.  My point was to show that sharing some divine
characteristics and prerogatives are not necessarily, are not usually, a
sign that deity is being attributed to a character in a text, according
to many probable NT-contemporary "Judaisms."  It may seem shocking to
current readers, with their own assumpions about Israel of Jesus's time,
that Jews could have belived in a messiah who was not God, and yet who was
preexistent, instrument of creation, enthroned next to God, all-powerful,
etc., but this is what period texts suggest to us.

>  Finally, I need to emphasize that Jesus refered to Himself as ho huios tou
>  anthrOpou i.e. THE son of man. The actual one ,the real article and by
>  using this term from Daniel(and as you pointed out so well from other sources)
>   we see that by calling Himself HaBaR eNaSH that those who heard Him knew
>   exactly who He was claiming to be despite the diversity of opinion about

Yes, he was THE son of man (over all the other sons of man), THE son of
God (over all the other sons of God), etc.  What's truly interesting
about the NT among its contemporary and later messianic texts is how it
brings all the threads of superhumanity & messianism and unites them in
Jesus: he is the wisdom, the pre-existent word, the "angel" of the LORD,
all the messiahs wrapped into one, the Son of Man, etc. etc.  The only
thing he doesn't seem to displace is the angels, although they are
severely reduced (Jesus seems to take over some of Michael's functions).
The author of the letter to the Hebrews is at great pains to tell his
audience that Jesus as Messiah is *greater* than all those super angels
they had all heard about (Hebrews 1), and the proof texts he/she uses are
the exact kinds contemporary Jews would have chosen, the kind that
Eusebius of Caesarea would choose hundreds of years later, and exactly
the kind a Nicene Trintarian *wouldn't*.  Jesus is the son of God (1:5),
the throne of God and companion of creatures (1:8), Kurios ("Master") and
perhaps even ArkhE ("The Beginning") (1:10) etc.  The author could have
saved himself a lot of trouble, and many vague OT citations, by simply
saying "Jesus is God."

>   the messiah and who he would be and what he might do etc.. As far as
Jesus > claiming to be God he asked those who wanted to stone Him(John
10:33)for > which good works are you stoning me...and they answered
concerning good work > we are not stoning you contrarywise concerning
blasphemy because you being man you are making yourself God(10:34). Why
did they pick up stones? Well, He > said in verse 30 something like...aNI
VaaV eCHaD aNaCHNU.  > >

First of all, notice Jesus rephrases their accusation as "son of God"
(10:36) which is probably a key hint that we should render _theos_ in v.
33 as "divine" or "godlike."  Jesus's tangent in vv. 34-36 hardly
reinforces any apparent claim to divinity; if anything, it scales it
down.  As for 10:30, 38, no matter what you think about Jesus's divinity,
these passages must be considered figurative and not literal
expressions.  Tehy are exactly paralleled by 17:21 ff. in reference to
human followers of Jesus:
     "...hina pantes hen Osin, kathOs su, pater, en emoi kagO en soi,
hina kai autoi en hEmin Osin, ... kagO tEn doksan hEn dedOkas moi dedOka
autois, hina Osin hen kathOs hEmeis hen: egO en autois kai su en emoi,
hina Osin teteleiOmenoi eis hen, hina ginOskEi ho kosmos hoti su me
apesteilas kai EgaoEsas autous kathOs eme EgapEsas." (John 17:21-23)
     "...that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I
am in you.  May they also be in us ... I have given them the glory that
you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in
me.  May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you
sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." (NIV)
     The Christian is not to be confused with the person of Christ,
surely, in any theology.  And even in usual trinitarianism, as I
understand, although the Father and the Son are both supposed to be God,
the Father is not the Son and the Son is not the Father, which is the
point of distinguishing them as persons.  So "He who has seen me has seen
the Father" and other similar expressions must be interpreted
figuratively even if one wanted to maintain a traditional trinitarian
reading.
    IMO here we have John's usual emphasis on Jesus as unified, by love
and power, with God, showing God to the world perfectly, and wishing to be
so shown by his disciples. This is the "nesting"/"telescoping" image we
encounter in the most unexpected places (John 12:44-45, 14:20; also the
Synoptics Matt. 10:40, 25:37-40, 44-45; Mark 9:37).  The disciples or
children stand in for Jesus/the Son of Man, who in turn stands in for God.
Figuratively, or by what is more reifiable, in "pneumatic" connectedness.

Greg Jordan
jordan@chuma.cas.usf.edu

From: molsen@casbah.acns.nwu.edu
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 1994 08:41:24 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Learning Greek via computer

This from a friend in Puerto Rico.  Can anyone help?