From: Dennis <dennis@lewis.mt.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 17:55:19 -0700 (MST)
Subject: Re: Isaiah 9:6 LXX

Sorry if I misunderstood your original post regarding the MT vs. LXX.

------------------------------

From: Robert Kraft <kraft@ccat.sas.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 20:34:39 -0500 (EST)
Subject: LXX/OG & MT

Thanks to Ed Hobbes for the bibliographical update on Frank Cross'
position. For even more information and bibliography on these subjects,
see Emanuel Tov, Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible (Fortress 1992)
and his earlier (and presumably scarcer) volume on The Text-Critical Use
of the Septuagint in Biblical Research (Simor 1981, in  the series
"Jerusalem Biblical Studies"). Some of you will recognize Tov as the
current coordinator of the DSS publications team/project. For a picture
in living color, see my home page on the WWW --

(talk about "dropping names" ....).

As for "LXX" as a designation, I would urge modern scholars to take the
admonition seriously that Ed reported of Cross, and avoid leaving the
impression that we have some sort of linguistic homogeneity in the Greek
materials. I've started referring to "LXX/OG" as the general title,
after years of struggling with this problem. Maybe it will catch on?

Bob Kraft, UPenn