From: William Raines <wraines@emmental.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 94 10:24:35 GMT
Subject: Re: Paradise/Thief

David L. Moore <Dvdmoore@aol.com> wrote:

>     It is also worth noting, that the "thief" (He was probably a Jewish
>freedom fighter rather than a thief as such.) asked for the Lord's help in
>some remote future: "when you come in (EIS) your kingdom."  Jesus answered
>that the recompense of the man's faith is to be immediate - that very day!

(1) I thought lEstEs was the usual word to use when one wanted to hint that
someone was a freedom-fighter or accused of being such, e.g. Luke 22:52. In
chapter 23, Luke uses kakourgos [evil-doer]. Further, the penitent criminal
admits that his condemnation is the just reward for his deeds - an unlikely
statement from a political terrorist.

(2) Is it grammatically possible to attach sEmeron either to the previous
words of Jesus ["Truly, I say to you ..."] or to the thief's previous
request ["... when you come in your kingdom"]? That is, might one translate
23:43 something like:

	"Truly, today I say to you, you will be with me in paradise"

which would make it a statement that Jesus can determine the man's salvation
now, no need to wait for judgement at the parousia. Or, alternatively, gloss
the phrase as

	"Today is the day I will come into my kingdom and you will ..."?

I guess this is pretty unlikely, but it would fit in with some sort of
Albert Schweitzer type eschatological understanding.

(3) What, if any, is the relationship between paradise and the peculiar
eschatology of Luke 16:19-31? Should "Abraham's bosom" be understood as a
synonym for paradise?

Bill
- --
The Revd. William Raines  ||   Tel: 061-224 1310
197 Old Hall Lane         ||   Email:
Manchester M14 6HJ        ||      wraines@emmental.demon.co.uk
United Kingdom            ||      wraines@cix.compulink.co.uk