From: "Micheal C. Flessas" <mflessas@omnifest.uwm.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 13:24:42 -0600

Unsubscribe

------------------------------

From: Kenneth Litwak <kenneth@sybase.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 94 11:32:46 PST
Subject: Re: Virgin or Young Woman

   Speaking as a Bible-believing person, I'm afraid I'd have to disagree
with you.  I think the text of Isaiah says that Isaiah toldf Ahaz of a sign
that Ahaz would see.  I cannot see Isaiah 7 as having only a forward
reference.  It must refer to the current situation.  That Matthew, in some
way, sees it as having an application to Jesus, and that being a valid
application, I would agree with.  Do not, however, assert that because one
"believes" in the Bible (asnd I'd much rather say the truths taught in the
Bible, putting my faith in God, not in the Bible per se), one must
ignore the context of passages in the Tanach.  Howeverr a NT writer
uses a text, as a Bible-believing person, I still, always,k want to go
back to the original text and ask what it meant for its original hearers.
The alternative, it seems to me, is that several passages in the Hebrew
text are little more than jibberish since they mean nothing for their
original audiences.I doubt that's the position you are taking, but it makes
it sound like it, and if so, please don't include me in your argument.
I believe firmly in inspiration, but I also believe in exegesis of passages
in their original context.  While I accept matthew's application, that
 surely doesn't mean that I have to ignore the original context, especially
when it does not _clearly_ point forward to the Messiah.

Best Wishes,

Ken Litwak