From: Greg Doudna <gdoudna@ednet1.osl.or.gov>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 1994 08:20:45 -0800
Subject: "Trumped up"?

On Dec 30, 1994, David Moore wrote:
>It is probably pertinent to remember that, had the crowd not
>asked Pilate for Barabbas's liberty, it is he who would have
>suffered crucifixion wiht the two LHSTAI who were crucified
>with Jesus.  This may indicate they were being crucified for
>similar offenses as Barabbas.  We should probably also
>remember that the trumped-up charge brought against Jesus
>was essentially political (i.e. that He was a rival to Caesar's
>kingship)....

Granted that the charge--"king of the Jews" if you accept the
gospels' report of the sign posted by the Romans over Jesus--
was political, i.e. that Jesus was a pretender to be a king--
when you say this was "trumped up" do you mean in fact, or
that this is the claim of the text?

I know that within the New Testament guild the view is
extremely strong that Jesus was "non-political."  The gospels'
reported Roman charge against Jesus is believed, in keeping
with the gospels' claim, to be either a mistake or trumped-up.
But the question has to be asked: of all the executions done
by the Romans for sedition, undoubtedly there was an occasional
mistake here and there, but is this _likely_?  Most of the
time, persons executed for sedition anciently were probably
involved in sedition, as a general statement.  I think it is
sound historical method to follow the principle: he must have
done something or they wouldn't have charged him.  This is
not good method in courtrooms today but it is good for about
92% probability in making historical judgements.
Maybe the two others with Jesus were also mistakes or trumped
up, by the same logic?  Since the gospels have a motive to
declare Jesus innocent, does this not in itself cast this
claim of innocence under some suspicion?  Which is being
more naive--to believe the gospels' claim or to believe the
Romans perceived accurately at the time?  Methodologically
I suggest contemporary interpretations be privileged over
later constructions and claims.  This is a statement of
historical method, not faith.

Greg Doudna
Marylhurst College
West Linn, Oregon