From: dkennedy@cornerstone.edu
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 1995 13:05:10 EST
Subject: Isaiah 7:14 (was A sign...and a seed)

Along the lines of George Ramsey's post (6 Jan 1995) offering objections to
the direct prediction view of Isa 7:14 (in response to postings and
bibliography of William Brooks), I would underscore a point made well (I think)
by John Walton (_JETS_ 1987) --

* If almah does mean "virgin," then this is at variance with the meaning of
the entire Hebrew word family -- elem "young man" and alumim "youth" which
cannot mean anything like "virgin" in the masculine or plural abstract words
related to almah. Whatever almah does mean, it should be generally in
harmony with the entire word family, especially when "virgin" is imported
into some of the uses of almah in the OT and is not a clear derivation from
them.

While more speculative, I also find Walton's suggestion very attractive that
the almah in Isa 7 may be an almah (cf Song of songs 6:8) in Ahaz's court
(syntax: "is pregnant and is about to give birth").

Instead of importing NT conclusions back into the OT and then claiming that
they started there (sorry -- that's my view of much of NT exegesis of the use
of the OT in the NT), I think that we would be better off to investigate more
fully the concept of PLEROO by NT writers who sought to show how God in
Christ has brought to fulfillment His workings from of old. My thanks to those
who have indeed sought to do this on this list in the past.

Greetings,
David B. Kennedy
Grand Rapids Baptist Seminary, MI
dkennedy@cornerstone.edu