From: STEVE SCHAPER <STEVE.SCHAPER@1-100-435-0.cheswicks.toadnet.org>
Date: 07 Jan 95 10:31:00 +0000
Subject: Re: Virgin or Young Woman

In a message dated 01-04-95 Michael I Bushnell wrote to Steve Schaper:
 MB>   What I meant by it was holding to the ecumenical creeds. I prefer
 MB> this term to the perjorative 'fundamentalist' which is inaccurate
 MB> and confusing anyway since there are the separatists, the
 MB> evangelicals, the Reformed and Lutherans, and charismatic groups
 MB> who hold in essence to these creeds. These are thereby
 MB> distinguished from the Deist and Arian groups commonly known as the
 MB> 'main- line' denominations. See Machen's _Christianity and
 MB> Liberalism_. The orthodox Protestants thus have considerably more
 MB> in common with the Roman Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox than
 MB> they do the 'main-line' variants of their own traditions.

 MB> I'd appreciate it if you didn't "explain" your terms by accusing vast
 MB> number of people of rank dishonesty.  The Presbyterian Church (USA),
 MB> the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the Episcopal Church in
 MB> the USA, the United Methodist Church--these *all* subscribe to the
 MB> ecumenical creeds.  And you are accusing them of lying when they make
 MB> that subscription.

 MB> 	-mib

 Sorry, been there, done that. I stand by what I said. While there are some
individuals and even congregations in the above (rather more in the ELCA than
the other three) that do hold to the ecumenical creeds, they are a small
minority. Another participant not of my tradition(!) showed me that Hans Kueng
also not of my tradition(!) used similar terminology for the same distinctions.

 -> Alice4Mac 2.4.4 E QWK Eval:11Sep94
- --- Silver Xpress Mail System 5.03R1
- --