[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

b-greek-digest V1 #558

b-greek-digest            Friday, 27 January 1995      Volume 01 : Number 558

In this issue:

        Re: EKSTASIS, etc.
        Dating of Matthew
        Philemon
        Re: Dating of Matthew
        Re: Dating of Matthew
        Re: Dating of Matthew
        Greek Tapes
        Translation of *Basileia*
        Re: Greek Tapes
        Re: Greek Tapes
        Re: Translation of *Basileia*
        Re: Dating of Matthew
        Re: Greek Tapes
        Re: Dating of Matthew
        Motivational text
        Re: Greek Tapes
        Re: Motivational text
        Motivational text
        Holy Laughter

From: Carl W Conrad <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 05:24:39 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: EKSTASIS, etc.

On Thu, 26 Jan 1995 Dvdmoore@aol.com wrote:
> [omitting citation of CWC]
>      An excellent study on Luke's treatment of this subject (i.e. charismatic
> phenomena) is Roger Stronstad's _The Charismatic Theology of St. Luke_
> (Hendrickson, 1984).  He portrays Luke as more closely tied to the theology
> of the Old Testament and of Christ than to Paul in reference to the
> charismata.

This is interesting and I'll check it out, but I'm wondering how one can
be so sure just what Jesus' "theology ... in reference to charismata"
actually was, in view of the diversity of the gospel witnesses. I think
generally the distinction between what's Palestinian and what's
"Hellenistic" no longer is felt to be meaningful (It's been shown how
deeply Hellenized the Essenes, that most reactionary of Jewish sects,
were--so Hengel indicated); and I would suppose that the culture of
Palestine at the time had been Hellenized to an extent that most
conservative Aramaic-speaking Jews scarcely realized--but I'm getting far
beyond what I'm confident about here. Nevertheless, my impression is that
there is a cultural gulf between the OT (discounting Maccabean-era
apocalyptic segments in Daniel and the like) and the actual beliefs of
Palestinian Jews at the time of Jesus. I realize this is a big question,
of course, and I am foolishly responding off the top of my head. At any
rate, I'll check out your reference. Thanks.

One Brookings Drive, St. Louis, MO 63130, USA
(314) 935-4018