From: Carl W Conrad <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 18:31:10 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: Greek Tapes

On Fri, 27 Jan 1995, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
>     This may be a myth foisted upon me, but my understanding about
> pronunciatin is that we use the pronunciation for NT Greek given by
> Erasmus, and it is unknown whether Erasmus was serious or joking.  Please
> feel free to correct this view if it's wrong.  I have nothing invested
> in it, other than that it's a bit humorous if true.

Generally Classicists also use the Erasmian pronunciation. I had never
heard there was a question of whether Erasmus was serious, nor do I know
upon what his pronunciation scheme was based. I adhere to it for teaching
Attic Greek although I know it is not the pronunciation of 5th-century
Athens; I'm not satisfied that the pronunciation taught by those who
think they know for 5th-century Attic are actually right, either. I
adhere to the Erasmian convention because it IS an accepted convention
and because I think it is very important to have a consistent scheme of
vocalization of the written language to assist learning.

One Brookings Drive, St. Louis, MO 63130, USA
(314) 935-4018