From: Bruce Terry <terry@bible.acu.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 1995 15:56:26 CST
Subject: Re: God's Wrath and Mercy

On Fri, 3 Feb 1995, Bengt Odman wrote:

>In Romans 9:19-26, Paul first (19-21) makes it clear that God has every
>right to show mercy on whom he wants without obligation. The potter may
>make some specially fine things, designed to give him honour. But I
>wonder, is Paul then possibly turning the whole thing around (22), saying
>in fact that he has also saved the SKEUH ORGHS, originally made for
>destruction, calling us gentiles also (24)? The 1917 Swedish translation
>seems to interpret it this way, but I have not seen any other translation
>that does explicitly. Is there any who do? As I understand RSV, KJV, NIV
>and others, the chosen ones, gentiles or Jews alike, all belong to
>the SKEUH DOXHS.

Is no one going to volunteer to answer this theological timebomb?  Oh,
well, fools rush in . . .

>Thus, grammatically, what I wonder is:
>
>1. Can or should EI DE THELWN be interpreted in an adversative sense?
>("but what if...?")

de is slightly adversative in and of itself on lower level paragraphs.  On
higher level paragraphs, however, the contrast may merely mark the
beginning of a new section.  ei can be translated "what if," especially if
the apodosis is missing.  So in a given context ei de . . . can be translated
"but what if . . . ."  In this context, however, IMHO the RSV is wrong in
doing so.  This sentence has an apodosis, as shown by the kai beginning
verse 23.  The sequence ei . . . kai . . . may be translated "if . . . then
. . ." as in Gal. 4:7 (KJV; RSV).  Robertson refers to kai in the apodosis
in his big grammar (p.1181).  The construction is not common, but it occurs
several times in the New Testament.

The tricky thing about translating the passage is that the main clause in
the apodosis is missing.  It is to be understood to be the same as the
previous finite clause in the protasis, in this case: hnegken 'he bore
with.'  Thus, here ei de . . . kai (ina can be translated "But if . . . then
[he bore with them] in order that.  This process of understanding a
previously mentioned word that is elided I have sometimes called spreading,
after the spreading of features onto following phonemes in the field of
phonology.

The protasis is also grammatically complex, containing both a participial
clause and a finite clause.  thelwn (or, qelwn, if you prefer) is a
concessive participle, which is translatable in English as 'although' or
'though' plus a finite verb, thus: 'although God wished/was willing.'  The
concessive nature is not in the participle itself, but is due to the
contrast between endeixasqai thn orghn 'to show his anger' and hnegken en
pollh makroqumia 'he bore with in much patience.'

>2. Does HNEGKEN mean "kept so far" or "saved for ever"?

Looking at BAG on this point, I sincerely doubt it ever had this meaning.
Especially in light of en pollh makroqumia 'in much patience,' here it
should probably be understood as 'bore with,' 'put up with.'

This brings us to a suggested translation:

22 But if, although God wished to show his anger and make known his power,
he put up in much patience with the vessels of anger, ready for
destruction, 23 then he put up with them in order that he might make known
the riches of his glory for the vessels of mercy, which he previously
prepared for glory.

If I was smart, I would stop here with the sentence analysis.  To do so,
however, I would be untrue to my training in discourse analysis.  The
macrostructure (van Dijk style) at work here is something like:
"Justification by faith is not invalidated by the fact the God chose
Israel, for not all of Israel was chosen and Israel is not all of the
chosen."  This contrast in the whole section between Israel after the flesh
and the chosen leads me to suspect that in this passage also the contrast
is at work:  the vessels of anger may well be Israel (cf. 10:21) and the
vessels of mercy the true chosen people.  This would explain why hnegken is
in the aorist rather than the present.  The time for putting up with Israel
while God waited for the fullness of time (Gal. 4:4) had passed.  If the
vessels of anger were the unelect, as traditionally understood, one would
expect the present tense here, for unfortunately, they are still among us.

Well, as I said, fools rush in . . .  But if grammar (both sentence and
discourse) cannot be used to shed light on difficult passages, of what use
is it?

Bruce Terry                            E-MAIL: terry@bible.acu.edu
Box 8426, ACU Station		       Phone:  915/674-3759
Abilene, Texas 79699		       Fax:    915/674-3769