From: Micheal Palmer <mpalmes@email.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 09:09:43 -0500 (EST)
Subject: re: Lk 1.1-4

On Thu, 16 Feb 1995, Kenneth Litwak wrote:

>    As to whether/what written accounts Luke may have drawn on, I would
> just like to point out that his wording, while likely suggesting
> written sources, does not require that the sources be written.  It could
> mean merely that Luke knows of others who have that intent, a possibility
> mentioned, but not defended by Nolland,

While Kenneth has a point here, EPECEIRHSAN ANATAXASQAI DIHTHSIN means
(extremely literally) "put their hand to the task to compile a
narrative", which leaves the possibility open that they did not complete
the task, I should point out that IMNSHO Luke's wording in verse three
tilts the scale against this interpretation. He says "It seemed good to
me also. . . *to write*" (EDOXE KAMOI. . . GRAYAI, emphasis added).
Besides, what would it mean to "attempt to compile a narrative" if not at
least to compile part of that narrative?

Micheal W. Palmer
Mellon Research Fellow
Department of Linguistics