[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

b-greek-digest V1 #587

b-greek-digest            Friday, 24 February 1995      Volume 01 : Number 587

In this issue:

        Re: Plural only nouns
        Plural only nouns
        God as Mother in NT
        Colossians in a beginners class?
        DSS Revealed CD-ROM
        Lord's Prayer Question
        Re: Lord's Prayer Question
        Re: Plural only nouns
        Unsubscribe request
        Re: Plural only nouns
        Re: Lord's Prayer Question
        Re: Colossians in a beginners class?
        The article in Homer
        Luke
        Lord's prayer
        Greek class on Luke
        Re: Plural only nouns
        Re: Plural only nouns
        Re: Lord's prayer
        Re:  Luke

From: Travis Bauer <bauer@acc.jc.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 07:04:23 -36000
Subject: Re: Plural only nouns

	Thank you for your responses to my query.  It is always dangerous
to make a blanket statement like the one I did, especially to a group of
scholars.  However, I'm afraid that the proposed words don't really fit
the pattern that I requested.
	Words like eyeglasses and pants are singular, but plural in
form.  The singular does exist.  In the sentence, "I am wearing
eyeglasses," eyeglasses is a singular noun even though it looks plural.
	The word cattle does have a singular, cow.  It may not follow a
set pattern, but if, in two thousand years on B-English, scholars are
discussing the question of whether some author could have used a singular
for cattle, the answer would be yes.
	But that is all a bit beside the point of my question.  I'm
wondering if it is reasonable to say that in Greek, nouns existed, plural
in form and in meaning which have no singular form.  One can logically
figure out what the singular would be, but it simply does not exist.  The
noun may seem to fit a given pattern in the plural, but simply not exist in the
singular.  Micheal Palmer showed that this is not necessary for the goneus
discussion in the Lord's Prayer, but I'm wondering if the argument that the
text couldn't have had goneus because the singular simply did not exist
would be a valid.