From: Carl W Conrad <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 05:46:52 -0600 (GMT-0600)
Subject: Re: The article in Homer

Rod, you might want to look at a classic piece from about 40 years ago by
Bruno Snell in _Die Entdeckung des Geistes_, E.V. _The Discovery of the
Mind_. The particular chapter is entitled something like "The Invention
of the Article." Snell puts this "event" in the sixth c. B.C.E. and
ascribes it to Ionian culture. There ought to be some bibliographic rfcs.
in his notes. Certainly it is evident that the normal use of HO,HE,TO in
Homeric epic is as a weak demonstrative. You might want to look at the
classic Homeric grammar (which I haven't looked at for ages): Chantraine,
I think.

One Brookings Drive, St. Louis, MO 63130, USA
(314) 935-4018