From: Lschopfer@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 18:50:03 -0500
Subject: Fwd: Text-crit qn.: Matt 14:6...

UNSUBSCRIBE-B-GREEK
- ---------------------
Forwarded message:
From: ernest@mv.mv.com (James D. Ernest)
To: B-GREEK@virginia.edu
Date: 95-03-03 13:18:03 EST

A small text-critical question for anyone who is inclined
to offer a judgment--

Is it safe to assume that Athanasius's text of Matt 14:6 must
have been H QUGATHR THS HRWDIADOS and not H QUGATHR AUTOU
HRWDIAS?  In NA27 only D is listed for the latter, so I'm
assuming it's a Western assimilation of this verse to Mark
6:22, where D and the "Hesychian" (Egyptian) texts both
have EISELQOUSHS THS QUGATROS AUTOU HRWDIADOS.  Right?

I'll confess I haven't looked at an editio major.  Also, not
too much is riding on this--just thought after scratching my
head about it for a while that it would be interesting to get
a better-informed perspective.

(The relevant places in Athanasius, as far as I can
see, are CA 1.2, which refers to H QUGATHR HRWDIADOS [at
least according to the Migne text--no modern critical text
available], and H. Ar. 52.4, referring to the promise made
HRWDHS TH HRWDIADI.  No reason to think Ath. had the Gospel
text in front of him on either occasion.  I suppose there
would be nothing strange about either his not having a fixed
life-long opinion as to whether Herodias was the mother or the
daughter or his making a little slip as to whom the promise
was spoken to.)
James D. Ernest                            Department of Theology
Manchester, New Hampshire, USA                     Boston College
Internet: ernest@mv.mv.com           Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts