From: Gary Meadors <gmeadors@epix.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 15:50:18 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: re: UBS3 is Poison

On Fri, 10 Mar 1995, James D. Ernest wrote:

> > Us Fundamentalists love to throw around the doctrine of INSPIRATION - - that
>
> > against Erasmus for being Cathoic: both Westcott and Hort have been
> > documented to be Mary-olaters, and with what I've heard about the dogmas of
> > Metzger, Aaland, Black, etc..... I'd wonder whether or not they even have a
> > relationship with Christ .... I guess that's just between them and the Lord.
>
> Precisely so.  In which case I would invite you to consider whether your
> careless words on the matter are something you wish to leave on the public
> record, not to mention other records of careless words that may be kept
> elsewhere.  ("Let the reader understand.")  This is something I have had
> to remind myself of on more than one occasion.  I mention it publicly here
> because I think you should also consider what kind of effect your posting
> will have the the reputation of a segment of the Christian church that is
> already constantly maligned, often unjustly, for fostering obscurantism and
> uncharitable public discourse.

> James D. Ernest                            Department of Theology
> Manchester, New Hampshire, USA                     Boston College
> Internet: ernest@mv.mv.com           Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts

Cudos, Prof. Ernest.  I am new to this list and could wish that issues,
not people be address...with documentation.

------------------------------

From: Mari Olsen <molsen@astrid.ling.nwu.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 10:22:15 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: participles

This message attempts to address a couple of issues that have been
raised lately, and which I have been unable to comment on (do to
sudden outbursts from my two-month old, who usually reads email from
my lap--today I have two hands).  Vincent DeCaen's posting
regarding the participles (below, from the b-greek list) and Porter's
treatment thereof gives what I think is a good example of semantics
vs. pragmatics in action (cf. discussion on greek-grammar regarding
the necessity/possibility of same).  THat is, he shows that part of
the common 'meaning' attached to participles in a certain order is, in
fact, 'cancellable' in certain contexts.  In my dissertation I
maintain precisely such a distinction between semantic (uncancellable)
and pragmatic (cancellable) meanings--after reading DeCaen's post, I
actually looked back to see if I had written the message at an earlier
time and forgotton that I had done so...  I think it is absolutely a
crucial distinction to maintain, since the uncancellable meaning rides
along no matter what, whereas cancellable ties more into speaker's
intentions and the entire context.  THus it is only the latter than
can be in dispute (although, practially speaking, what BELONGS in the
formal category is also open to discussion).  THat is, no one can talk
of a "daughter", for example, and deny that 'it' is female, whereas one
can speak of a "nurse" or a "secretary" as a male, although it is
generally assumed (perhaps decreasingly so) that both are female.  TO
quote Roman Jakobson (a venerable structuralist, often ignored in
Chomskyan-type linguistics):

"...even if this meaning is the most common function of this category, the
investigator nevertheless must not equate the dominant meaning of the
category with its general meaning I.  By regarding as an essential
relationship something which within the system of the language merely
has the status of a possible relationship, grammarians end up by
making rules with a great number of exceptions" (emphasis added).

We should therefore have in good grammars/lexicons a clear distinction
between the rule (found in all uses, can be assigned to new uses of a
particular lexical or grammatical form) and the tendencies/exceptions.
THe former I call semantics, the latter pragmatics.

...and now the babe is crying and I must sign off...

Mari Broman Olsen
Northwestern University
Department of Linguistics
2016 Sheridan Road