        orality and the NT
        Re: lexical evidence of James 5:14-16's meaning
        lexical evidence of James 5:14-16's mean
        Re: Mounce's Flashcard Program at condor.cs.andrews.edu
        Re: orality and the NT
        Re: Kenneth Litwak's Response to the Quest for the Historical Jesus.
        re: UBS3 is Poison
        unsubscribe

From: Vincent Broman <broman@np.nosc.mil>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 95 12:31:25 PST
Subject: Re: lexical evidence of James 5:14-16's meaning

djm5g@virginia.edu asked about:
> James 5:14-16...  as "weak in faith" instead of "physically sick"?

The use of oil suggests physical sickness, because oil was seen as
curative, e.g. the wine and oil applied by the helpful Samaritan to
the robbed man's wounds.

Perhaps the distinction you are trying to make is inappropriate.
The healing in Mark 2:1-12 and the experiences of many doctors suggest
that maladies of the mind and body are very closely intertwined.

gmeadors@epix.net commented:
>                        I do not see Js 5 being exercised in today's
> church as it seems to be presented in Js.  As a cessationist in certain
> areas, I wonder if 1 Cor 12 might help to understand why...

My own faith community does practice this anointing as part of a
healing by faith.  We regard it as an application of 1Cor 12:9 and
Mark 16:18 (longer ending of course :-).   BTW, you generally have to be
careful suggesting an anointing to someone with a Catholic background,
because they might protest that they are NOT at death's door!

Vincent Broman,  code 572 Bayside                        Email: broman@nosc.mil
Naval Command Control and Ocean Surveillance Center, RDT&E Div.
San Diego, CA  92152-6147,  USA                          Phone: +1 619 553 1641