From: Micheal Palmer <mpalmes@email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 15:19:15 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Faith of Christ.

On Tue, 21 Mar 1995 JefferisP@aol.com wrote:

> RE:
> pistis jesou christou
>
> of Galatians 3:22 (cf. 2:16, 3:1-4:11)
>
> Richard B. Hays, The Faith of Jesus Christ. An investigation of the Narrative
> Structure of Galatians 3:1- 4:11, Scholars Press 1983.
>
> Hays argues that this phrase is  a subjective genitive, meaning that it
> describes the faith(fulness) of Jesus Christ - not our faith in Jesus Christ-
> which justifies us and makes us whole.
>
> [MAJOR DELETION]
>
> How likely is this reading?  Comments.

Hays' reading is consistent with Greek syntax. It has one distinct
advantage over the traditional reading: the only support for the
traditional reading (translating the genitive IHSOU CRISTOU as "in Christ
Jesus" rather than "of Christ Jesus") is the very passages in question. In
other words, the reasoning behind the traditional reading is completely
circular: --We know that CRISTOU can mean "in Christ" because it does in
this text, and we know that "in Christ" is a possible reading in this
text since we have decided that CRISTOU can mean "in Christ". Hays'
reading eliminates this circularity by handling the genitive in a much
more established way.

A few years ago there was a major debate about the same problem
(translation of PISTEWS IHSOU CHRISTOU) in Romans.

Micheal W. Palmer
Mellon Research Fellow
Department of Linguistics