From: Micheal Palmer <mpalmes@email.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 01:50:54 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: pistis jesou

Carlton Winbery wrote defending the traditional reading of PISITS IHSOU
taking JHSOU as objective. I will not address each of his claims here
(since I plan to write an extended account of my own view of these texts
in a few days) but I would like to say that I disagree with ALL of his
proposed readings. I think that the main reason that the objective rather
than subjective rendering of IHSOU seems more natural to most of those
who defend this reading is because it fits with the theology which Luther
bestowed upon us. A subjective reading (Jesus' faith[fulness]--i.e. the
faith[fulness] that Jesus exhibited) fits quite well in all of the
contexts (including Romans 3) which Carlton discussed.

Having said this, let me add that I think it is quite clear that Paul did
teach that salvation comes through faith IN Jesus. For example, he says
in Galatians 2:16

	KAI HMEIS EIS CRISTON IHSOUN EPISTEUSAMEN
	and we have believed in Christ Jesus

in order that we might be justified EK PISTEWS XRISTOU [by Christ's
faithfullness] and not EX ERGWN NOMOU [by works of Law].

That is: we believed/trusted in Christ Jesus, and the result is that HIS
FAITHFULNESS, NOT OUR WORKS OF LAW will justify us.

Whether or not you accept my (and Hays') reading of EK PISTEWS CRISTOU,
it is clear that Paul sees our believing IN Christ as an essential part
of the equation.

OK, now that I have spelled out the fact that I accept the notion that
Paul taught that salvation comes by faith IN Christ, I would like to add
that I do not see this as incompatible with the notion that salvation
comes through Christ's faithfulness. Perhaps at some later date I can
debate this theological point. For now, however, I would like to turn to
syntax (where the real fun lies! :-).

Attacks on Hays' reading often come in one of two forms (or a combination
of them):

	1) It is claimed that PISTIS can take an objective genitive.

	2) It is claimed that early interpreters (the church fathers)
understood PISTIS CRISTOU as representing a case of an objective genitive
with PISTIS.

I would like to propose that both are incorrect. First, while it is clear
that the early fathers argued for a theology which based salvation on
faith IN Jesus Christ, and that they did so on the basis of Paul's
wording in the texts we are discussing, it does not follow that they
understood his syntax as allowing an objective genitive with PISTIS. Paul
DOES argue for a theology which calls for faith IN Christ, but he makes
this clear through statements like HMEIS EIS CRISTON IHSOUN EPISTEUSAMEN
(we have believed in Christ Jesus, Galatians 2:16) and DIKAIOSUNH...
QEOU... EIS PANTAS TOUS PISTEUONTAS (righteousness of God... to all
who believe, Romans 3:22), not through the accompanying noun phrases with
PISTIS and the genitive form CHRISTOU.

Now to the real syntactic issue: could PISTIS have an accompanying
objective genitive? To address this issue we must first recognize that
not all nouns which allow a subjective gentive allow an objective one.
Nouns which are accompanied by a subjective or objective genitive are
almost always deverbal nouns (that is, nouns which have a closely related
verb which shares significant morphological characteristics). This is the
case with PISTIS which is related to PISTEUW. In all such cases that I
have found, the noun shares the same argument structure as the related
verb. If the verb allows an accusative case direct object, the related
noun will allow a genitive case object (an objective genitive). If,
however, the verb does NOT allow an accusative case direct object,
neither will the related noun allow an objective genitive.

Take ODEUW, for example. This verb (usually translated "I travel") cannot
have a direct object. It can have a subject, and an adjunct in the dative
case as in ODEUOMEN RWMHI (we travel to Rome [not attested in the New
Testament]). Consequently, while the related noun (ODOS, in the sense of
'journey') could have a subjective genitive, it never occurs with an
objective genitive.

DIKAIOW, on the other hand, occurs with both a subject and an object (in
the accusative case) as in Romans 3:30: O QEOS, OS DIKAIWSEI PERITOMHN...
KAI AKROBUSTIAN... (God, who justifies the circumcised... and the
uncircumcised). Consequently, there is a legitimate debate over whether a
genitive case noun accompanying DIKAIWSUNH is subjective or objective
since DIKAIWSUNH can take a subjective genitive or an objective genitive
or both.

PISTEUW does not allow an accusative case direct object. The recipient or
goal of an act of faith/trust must be expressed in some other way when
that faith/trust is expressed using PISTEUW. In Galatians 2:16 it is
expressed with a prepositional phrase: HMEIS [EIS CRISTON IHSOUN]
EPISTEUSAMEN. Logically, we should expect that the related noun PISTIS
would not allow an objective genitive, but would need some other means
such as a prepositional phrase to express its recipient or goal. This is
in fact what we find in Colossians 2:5: THS EIS CRISTON PISTEWS UMWN
(your faith in Christ). This is a particularly instructive instance since it
includes a SUBJECTIVE genitive (UMWN) but where an objective genitive
might occur with a different governing noun, PISTIS must rely on a
prepositional phrase (EIS CRISTON).

ALL of the supposed cases of PISTIS with an objective genitive allow a
different reading in which the accompanying genitive case noun is not
taken as objective.

Micheal W. Palmer
Mellon Research Fellow
Department of Linguistics