From: Georg Stubkjaer Adamsen <gsadamsn@login.dknet.dk>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 11:24:54 -0100
Subject: Re: Ministry in the New Testament

In article <Pine.3.89.9503272143.B22792-0100000@rs6a.wln.com>,
Larry Swain <lswain@wln.com> wrote:
> Timothy,

[something deleted]

> There are of course Mosaic parallels here as well.

Yes, and to me it looks like a clear presentation of the New
Covenant. Among other things there seems to be a movement from
the Old Testament Covenant (which of course ultimately had
humanity as goal, cf. Genesis 12 and 15) to the New Covenant.
And so it is signifikant that Jesus in Matt. 28,18-20 commands
the disciples to go to all the nations etc. And Jesus Christ are
with them always. In the first place it is directed to the
eleven disciples, but next it must be extended to the mission of
the church as that is a _sine qua non_ to the New Covenant.

So the question about clerical or lay evangelism is perhaps not
to be settled with the help of Matt. 28, I think. However, if
that be so, then we better ask some fishermen being Jews to
fullfil this command (cf, Larry Swains comments below). Else we
should allow us to use all the NT to settle the issue.

> Anyway, I think it obvious that the "great commission" is the  commission
> for apostolic ministry given to a group of men who had lived and heard
> Jesus for a minimum of 3 years, not a general instruction for everyone to
> be a missionary or a big lay evangelism program.  Of course to apply this
> dictum to 20th century American Christianity is difficult because we
> don't look much like the disciples and the early church.
>
> -Larry Swain
> Parmly Billings Library
> lswain@billings.lib.mt.us
>

> On Mon, 27 Mar 1995 TimNeum@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Greetings to all.
> > I would like to seek discussion of Matt. 28:16-20 as "Words of Institution"
> > for an apostolic ministry rather than a Great Commission for lay
> > evangelization. I ask that any responses be exegetical, but not overly filled
> > with "linguobabble."
> >
> > Regards,
> > Timothy L. Neumann

- --