From: Georg Stubkjaer Adamsen <gsadamsn@login.dknet.dk>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 09:00:03 -0100
Subject: [none]

In article <9503292305.AA05298@arctic.sybgate.sybase.com>,
Kenneth Litwak <kenneth@sybase.com> wrote:

> When is a genre not a genre, with special ref to Rev.
>     I hope this is clsely enough related to Greek to be suitable here.
> Last night I read an article in _Novum Testamentum_, 1994(4), on the
> structure of Revelation (the book, not the doctrine).  Before reading the
> article, I would have said that the genre of Revelation is apocalyptic.
> Ironically, while the author argues for that view, in treating arguments
> for it having the genre of prophecy and not apocalyptic, I was convinced
> the genre is prophecy.  There seem to be many ways in which Revelation
> does not fit neatly into the enre apocalyptic as exemplified in
> 1 Enoch or the Apoc. of Baruch.  For one, it is not pseudonymous.

No, but what about argument no. 2? ;-) The most important
argument for the view of Revelation as prophecy is that is is
not pseudonymous. But this change can reasonably be explained
because of the shift in purpose.

>     So my question is:  how much non-conformity can we reasonably allow a
> document and still say it is part of a given genre?  The explanations
> given in the article seem to me on the order of "no matter how Revelatin
> differs, I'm going to rationalize issues away to make it be apocalyptic".
> (I hope I never have the author for a prof after tha comment).  Thanks.

It is a unsettled question which the Apocalyptic Genre group
under SBL have discussed for more than 15 years. Dr. Hellholm
has argued that you have to include not only form and content
but also function to classify a genre. Dr. Mazzaferri has tried
to that in his dissertation _The Genre of the Book of Revelation
from a Source-Critical Perspective_. Both of them are quite
rigoristic. On the other hand Dr. Richard Bauckham has argued
that Revelation is a mixed genre of 1. prophecy 2. apocalypse
and 3. letter.

A Danish professor in New Testament Exegesis Troels
Engberg-Pedersen has argued that e.g. the B.C. Alexandrinians
classified the genre in details in order to mix the genres to
their specific purposes.

I think that Revelation is a genre of its own, or that it _is_ a
mixed genre to serve John's specific purposes. To me it
therefore seems more important _first_ to try to describe form,
content and function and afterwards discuss the classification
of genre. Unfortunately we are still on our way to settle these
questions. The theory that the Emperor Domitian initiated an
(perhaps global, at least) Asian prosecution has been seriously
questioned and must be rejected. But then we have to figure out
what the function of Revelation so might be. My advice is to
forget about Rome as an significant part of that problem and get
back to the text with a new look.

- --
Georg S. Adamsen, Denmark